The UK is due to leave the European Union on 29 March. For how this may affect you see the details provided in this section.

Brexit and Driving Licences

In the event of a no-deal Brexit the driving licence of a UK licence holder living here in Ireland will not be recognised and the driver will not be able to continue to drive here in Ireland on that licence.

The advice to such drivers is that they should exchange their UK driving licence for an Irish driving licence before the 29 March 2019, which is set as the withdrawal date of the UK from the EU.

Under current arrangements a UK licence holder resident here in Ireland has an entitlement to make such an exchange. In such a case the driver will have all valid licence categories on their driver licence included on the Irish licence.

There are some limited exceptions where what are known as national licences categories cannot be transferred to the Irish licence. You may need to speak to the DVLA to find out if you have any national categories on your UK licence.

To exchange your licence you must complete a licence application form and present this, the correct fee and your UK licence at an NDLS centre- you will get more information on the process here.

For information on exchanging a UK or Northern Ireland licence please visit

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and Driving Licences


Brexit and CPC

As and from 29th March 2019, UK driving licences and CPC qualifications issued in the UK will no longer be recognised in any of the 27 EU member states.

Any driver with a UK licence and CPC card who is resident or working in Ireland is advised to exchange their licence and CPC card for an Irish licence and CPC card in advance of this date.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and CPC

Brexit and Digital Tachograph

If you hold a UK or Northern Ireland driving licence for a truck or bus, are a resident of Ireland, and obtained your digital tachograph driving card from the Road Safety Authority (RSA) it is important to understand that in the event of a no deal Brexit you are advised to exchange your UK driving licence for an Irish one.

To qualify for an Irish Digital Tachograph card, you must:

• Have a valid Irish or EU driving licence with higher vehicle categories;
• Be a resident of Ireland with a PPS number.

Once you have exchanged your UK or Northern Ireland licence, then, you need apply online for a new/first time digital Tachograph Driver card.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and Digital Tachograph

For more information on all Brexit related issues and getting Ireland Brexit ready please visit the Governments website here