What to do if you have a disability, are hard of hearing or cannot speak English

Disabilities & communication problems

You should notify the RSA’s Driver Testing Section in advance if you:

  •  have a severe hearing problem
  •  are restricted in your movements or have any disability which could affect your driving
  •  drive an adapted vehicle

This will ensure you don’t face any delays on the day of your test.
You should also note that if the vehicle you use for the test is adapted to suit a disability (eg, it has additional controls), this will be recorded on your full driving licence.


If you cannot speak English or are deaf, you are permitted to have an interpreter with you for the first (oral) part of the test. This person must not be your driving instructor, and may not accompany you during the practical element of the test.