The UK has left the European Union. For how this may affect you see the details provided in this section.

Brexit and Driving Licences

While the UK has left the EU, a transition period was agreed that allowed for the exchange of driving licences to continue. That transition period ends on the 31st of December 2020. If you are resident in Ireland and using a UK licence to drive it will no longer be valid to drive in Ireland after this date. For that reason UK licence holders resident in Ireland should take steps to exchange their licence for an Irish one well in advance of that date.

If you do not submit your original UK/NI licence with your exchange application the NDLS will be unable to validate your application without significant delays.

In the absence of alternative arrangements with the UK, you may have to apply for a learner permit if you wish to continue to drive in Ireland. It may also have implications for your insurance cover after this date.

To exchange your licence you must complete a licence application form and present this, the correct fee and your UK licence at any NDLS centre. You can make an appointment online at to attend any of our 36 NDLS centres. We also offer a walk-in service, but be advised there can be significant wait times for those without appointments.

For FAQ’s on Brexit and driving licences click here.


Brexit and CPC

With the ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement the UK will leave the EU at 11pm on the 31 January 2020. Under the transition arrangements in place valid UK/NI CPC cards will continue to be valid in Ireland up to the end of the transition period – 31 December 2020.

Any driver with a UK CPC card who is resident or working in Ireland should exchange their CPC card for an Irish CPC card as soon as possible but no later than 31 December 2020.


Brexit and Digital Tachograph

If you hold a UK or Northern Ireland driving licence for a truck or bus, are a resident of Ireland, and obtained your digital tachograph driving card from the Road Safety Authority (RSA) it is important to understand that in the event of a no deal Brexit you are advised to exchange your UK driving licence for an Irish one.

To qualify for an Irish Digital Tachograph card, you must:

• Have a valid Irish or EU driving licence with higher vehicle categories;
• Be a resident of Ireland with a PPS number.

Once you have exchanged your UK or Northern Ireland licence, then, you need apply online for a new/first time digital Tachograph Driver card.

Click here to see detailed FAQs on Brexit and Digital Tachograph


Brexit and Impacts of Type Approval on Motor Vehicles  

With effect from 31 January 2020 the UK is no longer a member of the EU.

This Information Note is provided to industry in particular to provide some clarification in respect of Brexit the United Kingdom’s (UK) withdrawal from the European Union (EU).  It specifically concerns the type approval of Category M (passenger vehicles), N (goods vehicles), O (their trailers) and L (two and three-wheeled motor vehicles, e.g. motorcycles and mopeds).

Since 29 March 2017, negotiations have been underway between the EU and UK with the aim of arriving at a withdrawal agreement.  While the UK will no longer participate in any of the European institutions, EU law will continue to apply to the UK until the end of what is known as the transition period.

During this transition period, the EU and the UK will engage in negotiations to determine their future relationship. The current rules around type approval will continue for the duration of the transition period, which, unless extended is due to end on the 31 December 2020. i.e. businesses and manufacturers will be able to operate under the same trading rules as they currently do with respect to type approval.

Refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for more details.


For more information on all Brexit related issues and getting Ireland Brexit ready please visit the Governments website here


Brexit and NCT EU Roadworthiness Certificates

When the United Kingdom (UK) leaves the European Union (EU), NCTS on behalf of the RSA will continue to process Mutual Recognition applications up until 31 December 2020 (current transition period) in respect of UK private vehicles being imported into the State. These recognition certificates recognise the unexpired portion of EU certificates of roadworthiness issued by a Member State in respect of a vehicle being re-registered in the State.

Imported UK Private vehicles that are four years or older and re-registered in the State after this transition period will be subject to a National Car Test (NCT) in line with the date of registration in Ireland. 

The advice to vehicle owners importing and re-registering private vehicles is to check if the vehicle has a valid UK certificate of roadworthiness (known as a MOT certificate) and if so, the owner may submit a Mutual Recognition Application form. Further information on how to do this can be found at

In the event that the UK transition period is deferred, the RSA will publish revised guidance for vehicle owners.

‘An initiative of the Government of Ireland’