Driving test update 


Driving test waiting list

If you are already on the driving test waiting list, please do not log in to MyRoadSafety to check for availability. Appointment slots are limited to those who have been invited to book a driving test and we will contact you directly when appointments become available.


If you have received an invitation to book a test, need to cancel a test, or wish to join the waiting list, please go ahead and sign in to MyRoadSafety now. For anyone else, we kindly ask you to visit another time when our portal is not so busy. Thank you for your patience at this time 


We can only offer test appointments to essential workers

If you are an essential worker and haven’t already received a test appointment but need one urgently please complete this online form. We will contact you when appointments become available.

If you are not an essential worker and have an upcoming appointment scheduled, please cancel your test. Otherwise, it won’t go ahead and the slot will be lost. Don’t worry, you won’t lose your fee. It will be saved as a service credit for you to book another test in the future.


Covid-19 safety measures

We have introduced new safety measures to the driving test which candidates must follow. Know more


Weather disruptions

Check if your driving test is affected by adverse weather conditions. Tests will be cancelled if conditions are unsafe.

Key rules for digital drivers

Some good habits for drivers of vehicles fitted with digital tachographs 

When driving a vehicle with a digital tachograph, you should:

  • use the driver card every day you drive, starting from the moment you take over the vehicle
  • set the mode switch to the correct activity and make sure to use it
    throughout your working period to record other work, periods of availability, rests and breaks
  • remove your driving card when the vehicle is taken over by another driver, or when the vehicle is not under your custody or if another driver could drive it
  • protect your card, keep it clean and do not bend it
  • record the country in which you begin and end your daily work period
    (always doing this at the start and end of the period)
  • manually enter your activities of any – other work, breaks, rest and periods of availability – since you last removed your driver card from a tachograph.

From 1 January 2008, you must be able to produce, whenever an enforcement officers requests them:

  • your driver card
  • any manual record and printout made during the current day and the
    previous 28 days and
  • analogue charts for any vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph driven by the driver in the current day and the previous 28 days

Make a Complaint relating to Vehicle Roadworthiness, Drivers Hours, Tachographs and/or Unlicensed Haulage

If you have any concerns that an operator or driver may be acting illegally as regards Driver Hours/Tachograph requirements you can report your concerns in confidence to the RSA in any of the following ways

  • In Person – Call into our office, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway.  Where you can speak to one of our staff in the strictest confidence
  • In Writing – Post your complaint to Enforcement Section, Road Safety Authority, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway
  • By email – Complete a complaint form (DOC)​ and submit to [email protected]
  • By phone – You can speak to one of our staff on 091 872600 (enforcement section) or call our lo-call confidential hotline on 1890 253 163.
  • Online - make a complaint online​​ via our website.​