Who can renew
You may apply to renew your driving licence if you:
- Hold a licence due to expire within 3 months
- Held a licence that expired less than 10 years ago
- Wish to exchange a current valid licence issued by a Member State of the EU or of the European Economic Area or another 'recognised state'*
*Countries designated ‘recognised states’ have licensing systems broadly similar to ours. These include: Australia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, New Zealand, Japan, Jersey, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland and Taiwan.
Checklist for renewal
Important note - please ensure to complete any forms in block capitals using a black ballpoint pen. The application form must only be printed and not photocopied for quality control purposes.
When renewing your driving licence, your application should contain:
- Completed Driving Licence Application form (D401) —also available from motor tax offices
- Your current or most recent driving licence
- Two passport-size photos, signed on reverse
- Appropriate fee
- Where applicable, a completed Medical Report form (D501)(PDF) if downloading this form, you must print it back-to-back; this form is also available from motor tax offices
- Where applicable a completed Eyesight Report Form (D.502)(PDF). This is required where you were previously required to wear glasses/corrective lenses for the purpose of driving and a restriction was recorded on your driving licence and you now no longer require glasses/corrective lenses for the purposes of driving.
Your age will determine the licence term you can apply for:
- Under 60: 10-year
- 60-66: a licence that will expire when you reach 70
- 67-69: 3-year licence
- 70 or over: 3-year or 1-year licence (subject to certification of fitness to drive by your doctor)
The age in question is your age on the first day of the period for which the licence is being granted
. A 1-year or 3 year licence may be granted in exceptional circumstances where, for medical reasons, a longer licence term cannot be granted.
- 1-year: €25
- 3-year: €35
- 10-year: €55
- Licence valid to age 70 (not more than 10-year): €55
- Applicant is 70 or over on licence start date: no fee
- Adding a category to existing licence: €35
Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to the city or county council(PDF)
to which you are making the application. For example, if applying to Dublin Motor Tax Office the cheque should be made payable to Dublin City Council.