The Department of Transport issue and maintain operator licenses.
Road Haulage Operator’s Licence
You need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence if you are carrying goods for hire or reward in a vehicle or combination of vehicles the maximum authorised weight of which is in excess of 3.5 (metric) tonnes.
"Hire or Reward" haulage arises when you are paid for carrying someone else's goods. If you do only own account work, i.e. carriage of your own goods in your own vehicles driven by yourself or your employees, or in the delivery of goods to a customer who has bought those goods from you, then you do not need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence.
Road Passenger Transport Operator Licence
You need a Road Passenger Transport Operator's Licence if you are carrying passengers by road for hire or reward in vehicles constructed and equipped so as to be suitable for carrying nine or more passengers.
"Hire or Reward" arises when you are paid for carrying passengers. If carrying passengers is not your main business, and if you are not charging your passengers a fee, then you do not need a Licence.
For example, a hotel that owns a bus that it uses to ferry its guests, as a complimentary service, to and from an airport or tourist attractions, would not need a Licence.
Make a Complaint relating to Unlicensed Haulage
If you have any concerns that an operator may be acting illegally as regards Operator Licensing requirements you can report your concerns in confidence to the RSA in any of the following ways
- In Person – Call into our office, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway. Where you can speak to one of our staff in the strictest confidence
- In Writing – Post your complaint to Enforcement Section, Road Safety Authority, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway
- By email – Complete a complaint form (DOC) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone – You can speak to one of our staff on 091 872600 (enforcement section) or call our lo-call confidential hotline on 1890 253 163.
- Online - make a complaint online via our website.
If you have any queries in relation to completing your application for a:
- Road Haulage Operator’s Licence
- Road Passenger Transport Operator’s Licence
Road Transport Operator Licensing Unit
Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport
Telephone Lo-call: 1890 44 33 11